It was brought to my attention that I never posted the rest of the plan, so here it is folks! Sorry about that!
Thanks so much to the mom who gave all of this to us in the first place. Some of her comments are in quotes.
"It has been remarkably easy chipping away at this project a bit at a time. We use and restock from our stash all the time. I think we are to our goal of having 3 months worth for all of us when it comes to most items."
- Add the weekly item to your shopping list.
- Buy the largest amount of each week's item you can sensibly afford.
- Replace items as you use them.
- If you miss a week, skip to the next week.
- Don't get behind. Share your hot buys with the rest of us.
- If your family loves something not listed, buy it and store it.
- Week 1 -- One or more gallons of vinegar. Great for cooking, canning and cleaning.
- Week 2 -- Wraps and bags…aluminum foil, garbage bags, freezer bags, saran wrap, wax paper.
- Week 3 -- Do something with all those apples. Pie filling, applesauce, juice, apple butter…
- Week 4 -- Hard candy, candy bars on sale after Halloween.
"We definitely need more water storage. But there are still a couple of months left in the year to get it all done."
- Week 1-- Vitamins: get extra C, D, E and calcium
- Week 2 -- Treats for baking. Cocoa, coconut, nuts, butter (freeze it), chocolate chips..get it all.
- Week 3 -- Rolled oats, corn meal, cream of wheat, oatmeal. Stock up on boxed cereal.
- Week 4 -- Vegetable and/or Canola oil. Get a good quality.
- Week 1-- Candles and matches. Put in a sturdy box that you can locate in the dark.
- Week 2 -- Popcorn. Go for the big 12 pound bag or buy the kernels. (I recommend kernels!)
- Week 3 -- MERRY CHRISTMAS! You've given yourself a great gift—security! Keep it up.
- Week 4 -- Watch for after Christmas sales. Nuts go on sale. Dry roasted ones keep the best. Freeze bagged ones.